About Rick de Jong
Who is Rick de Jong?
At 49 years of age, Rick de Jong is a husband, father, and grandfather. Rick is married to Tracey for 26 years and they have two children aged 21 and 24 years old. In January of 2016 Rick and Tracey were introduced to the joys of being grandparents when their first grandson was born.
Having grown up on a small farm in the Fraser Valley, Rick enjoys spending time outdoors. Some of Rick’s favorite activities are family walks along the water front, hiking and fishing.
Rick’s passion for farming has led to a career spanning 28 years working with and helping farmers grow crops. Rick’s work experience as a fertilizer sales representative includes sales, marketing, product registrations and product technical support.
Rick’s Community Service
Rick feels that it is important to be involved in and give back to the community where one lives. Over the years, he has enjoyed being a volunteer with a variety of area organizations:
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Central Okanagan Youth Soccer
- Big Brothers
- School Parent Advisory Councils
- West Kelowna Agricultural Advisory Committee
- Central Okanagan Area Planning Committee
Service to his community since being elected to Council in 2011 includes:
- Two terms as a Councillor for the City of West Kelowna
- Alternate Director for the Regional District of the Central Okanagan
- Kelowna Airport Advisory Committee member
Key Accomplishments of Council during Rick de Jong’s time in office:
- CNR Warf reconstruction
- Gellatly waterfront upgrades
- Rosewood Sports Field
- Annette Beaudreau Amphitheatre at Memorial Park
- Establishment of the West Kelowna Wine Route
- Westlake Road upgrades including sidewalks and streetlights
- Daimler Road and sidewalk upgrades in front of Constable Neil Bruce Middle School
- Continued support of the side walk and road rehabilitation programs across West Kelowna
- Westbank Cemetery improvements
- Acquisition of Provincial crown lands for future municipal infrastructure